Yeah, I know, you’ve
heard read me say before how everyone should avoid processed foods and food products and cook everything from scratch. I totally believe it. Realistically, though, gluten free recipes are notoriously finicky, and many times it’s happened that what I hoped would be delicious, yielding cookies turned out to be more like hockey pucks. And sometimes you just need a good cookie.
These are the GF products that I recommend and will shell out for, even though I have this crazy thought that I’ll someday be able to make them all myself.
You’ll notice, by the way, I don’t have a GF bread on this list – that’s because I’m not eating many grains these days, and haven’t found a bread that makes me wish otherwise.
- Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas These are what I use instead of bread They’re really only good when they’re warm, so I usually stick them in the microwave for 30 seconds in between two damp paper towels before consuming. (Trader Joe’s also sells these under their own TJ’s brand)
- WOW Cookies These are seriously the best cookies, GF or otherwise, and they’re also local to me – their offices are pretty much kitty corner to where I work! My favorites are the ginger molasses or oatmeal.
- San-J Wheat-free Tamari Truth be told, I haven’t personally taste-tested very many different GF soy sauces, but only because I like this one so well. And the good thing about the exclusion of wheat from it’s ingredients is that it’s thicker, richer, and saltier than that other stuff.
- Almond Flour You may have read up elsewhere on the internet about the benefits of almond flour – it’s high in monounsaturated fat, relatively high in protein, low in carbohydrates, etc. It’s also really tasty, and I love the texture of it – dense and a little chewy.
- Bobs Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix I buy this stuff in bulk from Amazon because GFBF and I like it so well! The trick seems to be to make as thin a pizza crust as you can, as it’s better when it’s a little crispy. Also, I have successfully made it vegan with “flax eggs” when I was out of eggs that the instructions call for.
- Kettle Foods Almond Butter My absolute favorite almond butter – I’ll take it creamy and unsalted, please!
I’ve also got recommendations as far as non-dairy ice cream, but that deserves it’s own post, and for that, readers, you’re going to have to wait until tomorrow!